The strain upraise of joy and praise
1. The strain upraise of joy and praise Alleluia!
To the glory of their King
Let the ransomed people sing Alleluia!
2. And the choirs that dwell on high
Swell the chorus in the sky,
3. Ye through the fields of Paradise that roam,
Ye blessed ones, repeat through that bright home, Alleluia!
4. Ye planets, glittering on your heavenly way,
Ye shining constellations, join and say Alleluia!
5. Ye clouds that onward sweeps,
ye winds on pinions light,
Ye thunders, echoing loud and deep,
Ye lightening, wildly bright,
In sweet consent unite your Alleluia!
6. Ye floods and ocean billows,
Ye storms and winter snow,
Ye days of cloudless beauty,
Hoar frost and summer glow,
Ye groves that wave in spring,
And glorious forests, sing Alleluia!
7. First let the birds, with painted plumage gay,
Exalt their great Creator’s praise, and say Alleluia!
8. Then let the beasts of earth, with varying strain,
Join in creation’s hymn and cry again Alleluia!
9. Here let the mountains thunder forth sonorous Alleluia!
There let the valleys sing in gentler chorus, Alleluia!
10. Thou jubilant abyss of ocean, cry Alleluia! Ye tracts of earth and continents reply Alleluia!
11. To God, who all creation made,
The frequent hymn be duly paid, Alleluia!
12. This is the strain, the eternal strain,
the Lord of all things loves; Alleluia! This is the song, the heavenly song, that Christ Himself approves Alleluia!
13. Wherefore we sing, both heart and voice awaking, Alleluia!
And children’s voices echo, answer making, Alleluia!
14. Now from all men be outpoured Alleluia to the Lord,
With Alleluia evermore
The Son and Spirit we adore.
15. Praise be done to the Three in One,
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!