O Saviour, bless us ere we go
1. O Saviour, bless us ere we go;
Thy word into our minds instill;
And make our lukewarm hearts to glow
With lowly love and fervent will.
Through life’s long day and death’s dark night,
O gentle Jesus, be our light!
2. The day is done, its hours have run
And Thou hast taken count of all,
The scanty triumphs grace hath won,
The broken vow, the frequent fall.
3. Grant us, dear Lord, from evil ways
True absolution and release;
And bless us, more than in past days,
With purity and inward peace.
4. Do more than pardon; give us joy,
Sweet fear, and sober liberty,
And loving hearts without alloy,
That only long to be like Thee.
5. Labour is sweet, for Thou hast toiled,
And care is light, for Thou has cared;
Let not our works with self be soiled,
Nor in unsimple ways ensnared.
6. For all we love, the poor, the sad,
The sinful, unto Thee we call;
O let Thy mercy make us glad;
Thou art our Jesus and our All.