O for a faith that will not shrink
1. O for a faith that will not shrink
Though pressed by many a foe,
That will not tremble on the brink
Of poverty or woe.
2. That will not murmur nor complain
Beneath the chastening rod,
But, in the hour of grief or pain,
Can lean upon its God.
3. A faith that shines more bright and clear,
When tempests rage without
That when in danger knows no fear,
In darkness feels no doubt.
4. A faith that keeps the narrow way
Till life’s last spark is fled,
And with a pure and heavenly ray
Lights up a dying bed.
5. Lord, give me such a faith as this,
And then, whate’er may come
I taste even now the hallowed bliss
Of an eternal home.