‘Take us thy cross,’ the Saviour said
1. ‘Take us thy cross,’ the Saviour said,
’If thou wouldst My disciple be;
Take up thy cross, with willing heart,
And humbly follow after Me.’
2. Take up the cross; let not its weight
Fill thy weak soul with willing heart,
His strength shall bear thy spirit up,
And brace thy heart, and nerve thine
3. Take up thy cross, nor heed the shame,
And let thy foolish pride be still;
Thy Lord refused not e’en to die
Upon a Cross, on Calvary’s hill.
4. Take up the cross, then, in His strength
And calmly every danger brave;
’Twill guide thee to a better home,
And lead to victory o’er the grave.
5. Take up thy cross, and follow Christ,
Nor think till death to lay it down;
For only he who bears the cross
May hope to wear the glorious crown.