When from Egypt’s house of bondage
1. When from Egypt’s house of bondage
Israel marched, a mighty band,
Little children numbered with them
Journeyed to the promised land;
Trod the desert’s trackless sand.
2. Little children crossed the Jordan,
Landed on fair Canaan’s shore;
‘Neath the sheltering vine they rested,
Homeless wanderers no more;
Sang sweet praise for perils o’er.
3. Saviour, like those Hebrew children,
Youthful pilgrims we would be;
From the chains of sin and Satan
Thou hast died to set us free;
We would traverse
All the wilderness to Thee.
4. Guide our feeble, erring footsteps;
Shade us from the heat by day;
Be our light from shadowy nightfall
Till the darkness pass away;
Jesus, guard us
From the dangers of the way.
5. When we reach the cold, dark river,
Bid us tremble not nor fear;
Be Thou with us in the waters–
We are safe if Thou art near;
Through the billows
Let the emerald bow appear.
6. Then, our pilgrim journey ended,
All Thy glory we shall see,
Dwell with saints and holy angels,
Rest beneath life’s healing tree,–
Praising, blessing, loving Thee.